Saturday, May 14, 2011

Reducing bandwidth – Results by turning compression on in Apache

The website I'm working with has 41 million visits per year from a global audience. It's hosted internally in our own premises in Stockholm, Sweden. The website is now growing beyond the capacity of the internal network and I need to reduce the bandwidth usage. I have to do this fast in the easiest way possible and without any major costs. Can I even make the visitors benefit from this?

Step one: Compress everything.

We didn't use compression for Javascript and CSS before. I turned it on in Apache. This easy task took less than 10 minutes to change on our web server farm.

The next day I could evaluate the result. I looked at the full page render times in our Apica monitoring service. From within Sweden there were no difference in download time. But from US it took 10% less time to download the start page, and from Asia it was as much as 25% less compared to before compression of Javascript and CSS was turned on!


The result itself is not surprising, but I didn't expect as much as 25% better download times from Asia. I should have done this long ago.

The next step will be to bring static content into the cloud.

No comments:

Post a Comment